God always had greater plans for Rocky than we could ever envision! In 1983, when the Ahlgrim family was invited by First Christian Church of Longmont (now Lifebridge) to launch a new church, Rocky Mountain was merely a vague dream. Alan and Linda moved with their three young children to launch a new church that would one day become a dynamic regional ministry. At first there was no plan, no name and no core group identified; but God did something that was both gratifying and awe inspiring.
With the blessing of First Christian and about 150 excited pioneers, Rocky Mountain Christian Church was launched in the auditorium of Niwot High School on April 1, 1984. Since that date, two large campuses have been developed and dedicated to Christ as a blessing to both Boulder County and Weld County. In 2012, Alan Ahlgrim passed the baton on to Shan Moyers as Lead Pastor.
Rocky has now launched eight strong partner churches that flourish both in Colorado and around the country. Numerous Christ-exalting ministry partnerships now exist around the world and several thousand people have been baptized into Christ right here!
We never want to forget the glorious miracles of the past that God has done in and through Rocky as we continue to believe that “the best is yet to be!”
While the following list is not an exhaustive list, it does represent the core of who we are and what we believe:
- There is one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He is the creator and ruler of all things and the redeemer of mankind.
- Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He died on the cross as a perfect sacrifice to pay the penalty for our sins and God raised him from the dead on the third day.
- The Holy Spirit is our guide and comforter. He empowers believers to fulfill God’s vision and purpose for their lives.
- People are created by God to have a personal relationship with him. Each person’s willful decision to sin severs their relationship with God and leaves them lost, without hope, and in need of rescue.
- Salvation is a gift offered to us by God’s grace apart from any personal work or achievement. Salvation from sin is the common need of all people and can only be found through Jesus Christ.
- The appropriate response to God’s grace is to believe, repent, confess, be baptized, and partner our lives deeper with Jesus, his church and his mission.
- Biblical baptism is by immersion, as practiced and instructed by Jesus and the early church.
- The Bible is the authoritative Word of God which guides all we say and do. It is truth without error, and it is the source for knowing God’s will for our lives.
- The church is a faith community consisting of Christians everywhere. The New Testament provides clear instruction concerning how we should teach the Gospel as well as a pattern for church practices.
- Sharing and helping people understand the story and teachings of Jesus is every Christian’s privilege and responsibility.